We welcome all to follow along as Elder Nelson shares with us his experiences as a full time missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. These are truly they best 2 years FOR his life!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Desire of our Hearts


So probably a lotta stuff happened this week... But this is all I can remember! Enjoy! 


Baptism of Cathy Wilson

Cathy's baptism was truly amazing. Every part of it was absolutely incredible. To see how the gospel can truly change someone's life. She desires the change and she knew it would. She decided to give up her old life and change. She is so stalwart. I'm so impressed. She was there early as she always is. She hates being late to anything which a great habit. She changed into her white clothes and was just so pure! She looked so happy and ready. And as the baptism started it hit me. The presence of the Holy Ghost was undeniable. Bro. Hausman presided and Bro. Smith joined and Bro. Clawson conducted. Three powerful righteous and incredible men. The tears were not flowin but it was hard to keep them back. I could just feel it. So powerful. And so peaceful.

 Cynthia came early to the baptism and REHEARSED HER TALK! she is a recent convert of about a year. She actually just had her interview to receive her endowments. She had prepared so much and was practicing her talk and when she gave it, it was incredible. She quoted from Robert D. Hales and President Monson, read from the Book of Mormon, and testified of the restoration of the priesthood. I was in awe. Then the baptism. I went back into the bathroom and as Elder Peters and I we were walking in Cathy and Sis. Wargo ( her amazing friend from the ward!) came around the corner and Cathy was crying and Sis. Wargo just hugged her and Cathy was saying how happy she was! So I began to feel how powerful this moment was. So I went in and watched the baptism from the side of the font and it was so beautiful. It was picture perfect. There was a light coming down from outside right into he font and only shined on Cathy, seriously it was so cool. She came up out of the water and took like a gasp and clapped her hands... And what to my mind was Mosiah 18...

  10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of The Lord...

11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.

I couldn't hold back the tears... And as the doors closed, I heard Elder Peters pull the plug and I was waiting for him to come up so I could give him his towel and stuff but he didn't... Then I heard him just sobbing... Standing there in the water... He didn't want to get out. And it hit me too. That was probably the last time he would baptize someone as a missionary. I felt what he was feeling the bittersweet feelings of incomprehensible joy for a daughter of God experiencing the atonement and its power and essential the love of God for the very First time in her life making a covenant that we feel so strongly she will honor and keep and the pain of realizing that his role and calling to do this work was coming to a close. So he came up the stairs and hugged me. And we just cried together. 

The baptism continued and Sis Wargo the amazing former young women's president. Gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. She expressed to Cathy how the Holy Ghost guides us and that's how Heavenly Father shows his love by sending us the spirit to guide us.  As she told her how Heavenly Father had led her to her new friends who love her so much she felt it and sis Wargo just gave her the biggest hug right there. She also got her a set of her very own scriptures with her name inscribed on them. Then the confirmation which I performed. The spirit led it beautifully promising her blessings of faith and courage to stand up for truth and being a witness of God I felt the presence of the divine whispering to me the things she should hear. Powerful. The relief society welcome and welcome to the ward were so heartfelt and more sincere than normal and I was so amazed at these people. 

I'm certain, that we are begotten sons and daughter unto God. I am certain that a child was born to Mary and became Jesus the Christ. I'm certain that Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet of God and those keys were restored. I am certain that the work we are engaged in is the salvation of souls for eternal life. I am certain and I love every minute of it. I testify of the divinity and mission of Jesus Christ, he lives! And because he lives we must press forward, and invite. I love following my redeemer.

Be not afraid; only believe

Elder Stephen Nelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment